[Samba] Joining Domain Problem only with XP SP2

Robert robert at spotswood-computer.net
Wed Feb 20 09:22:22 GMT 2008

On Sunday 17 February 2008, Rune Tønnesen wrote:
> Robert skrev:

> >> Since it's just XP SP2, you might want to look at the XP firewall
> >> settings that were added by default during the SP2 update.  Get there
> >> Control Panel/Windows Firewall.  In there is file and printer sharing
> >> blocking on by default for notebooks and computers directly on the
> >> internet. Maybe you already looked at this.  Nothing else stands out.
> >>
> >> Regards, Doug
> >
> > It's a good thought. I'll check it, but I don't think that's the problem.
> > As I said, the XP SP2's are functioning as workgroup computers for now,
> > so the users can access their home shares just fine. Unless I'm badly
> > mistaken, file and printer sharing blocking, if on, should block this
> > too.
>
> Hi Robert
>
> I've think i found the solution to your problem. what is the name of the
> workgroup, it's not in your smb.conf?
> Since the SP2 pc's are in a workgroup with the same name as your
> domainname they need to be taken out of the that particular workgroup
> before you can join them to your domain. To join them to your domain do
> as follows:
>
>    1. Make a workstation member of a workgroup with a name differet to
>       your domainname e.g. testgroup
>          1. make sure it doesn't have any connection to file and
>             printershares in the old workgroup
>          2. restart
>    2. Join the domain you want.
>          1. restart to make the domain join work.

I finally got back there and tried this. No joy :( I don't think this is the
problem anyway as I was there installing a new computer from Dell (an XP
SP2), and the first thing I did after getting it up was to try and join the
domain. Same error. As this computer had never been on the network before, I
doubt it was a name clash.

If it helps anyone help me, I cranked up the logging. Here's what I got when
trying to join the domain in the log.<computername> file:

[2008/02/19 22:48:58, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(1200)
  setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old resources.
[2008/02/19 22:48:58, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(1200)
  setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old resources.
[2008/02/19 22:48:58, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
  check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [root] -> [root] -> [root]
succeeded
[2008/02/19 22:48:58, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(323)
  Allowed connection from  (192.168.1.57)

Obviously, the "check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [root] ->
[root] -> [root] succeeded" tells me root does exist and I did enter the
correct password...So why does XP SP2 lie to me and say I didn't?
--
Fail to learn history-repeat it.
Fail to learn rights-lose them.