[Samba] ldap passwd sync not working

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Wed Feb 13 20:24:37 GMT 2008

(...)

> Sure enough smbldap-passwd works. I have tried this once ldap passwd
> sync was not working.

How?

> Though, there are two problems: 1) it's too slow and 2) it shows a
> message to the user telling he has no permissions to change password.

Where? How?

> So it's confusing. I don't feel comfortable using such a thing.
>
> Actually, I was hoping for some answer from whom has ldap passwd sync
> working.

Mine is. It doesn't needs anything else.

> Hints on how to debug and so on.

Was suggested one, try smbldap-passwd -u from command line and inside
samba and see if it works, if it works alone theres a possibility that
your samba config has a problem if it doesn't works even outside samba,
it doesn't have anything to do with samba, as it runs alone, its a
simple perl script that binds to ldap directly.

If you conclude that the problem is with samba you can start to raise
the log level, if its not, its useless and maybe you should look at your
ldap acls.

So, it depends, I didnt understood what works and what doesn't and in
which situation now.

> Thanks again!

Edmundo Valle Neto