[Samba] roaming profiles

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Feb 5 14:36:39 GMT 2008

windows xp/samba looks at the timestamp on NTUSER.DAT in your
c:\documents and settings directory and the \\server\profiles\username
share on the server, whichever is newer is what gets loaded.  XP caches
log in credentials, so you are on the road using your notebook with your
cached profile.  the timestamp on NTUSER.DAT is newer then when you are
back on your local network, so your profile on your notebook is loaded,
and when you log out, this newer profile is written to the file server.

its not that confusing, have your server domain logins = yes, os level =
33, and setup the logon path, logon drive, and logon home settings, and
creat /var/lib/samba/profiles and /var/lib/samba/netlogon directories.
look at examples 2.3.7 and 2.3.8 in the official samba 3.2.x howto and
reference guide pdf.