[Samba] Map Linux Drive to Windows

Sadique Puthen sputhenp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 12:51:49 GMT 2008

Tarak Ranjan wrote:
> Hi List,
>          I have a Samba PDC, and i want another file server to be
> installed , which user will map their home directory without
> joining,[ means i don't this server will be a another PDC, it'll be
> personal file server ]
> here is my configuration

You have to join that server to your PDC domain since it needs the user
details. I use the below smb.conf  on my file server which is a member
of the PDC domain.

[global]
  workgroup = DOMAIN
  server string = Samba File Server
  netbios name = xxxxxx
  security = domain
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  max log size = 50
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  dns proxy = No
  idmap uid = 10000-20000
  idmap gid = 10000-20000
  winbind enum users = yes
  winbind enum groups = yes
  cups options = raw
  template shell = /bin/bash
  winbind use default domain = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   read only = No
   browseable = No

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = Yes
   browseable = No

[profiles]
        path = /share/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No

Then join this system to PDC domain using "net rpc join -S <ip of PDC>
-U administrator". Once joined use winbind for name service and winbind
for authentication. Preferred method is "authconfig". Then the roaming
profiles would be created automatically when users log in to client
systems. Make sure you update logon path in PDC and BDC or in ldap
accordingly.

You can also use nss_ldap for name service on the file server and
configure you PDC's ldap server as the server, but I have not tested
this in my setup.

--Sadique