[Samba] SMB share and .mdb files?

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Fri Aug 1 19:28:52 GMT 2008

On the topic of Access databases:
All the Access databases we have are set to "compact on close".  I've
noticed that since I moved the databases to a Samba server from a w2k
server, I get db1.mdb, db2.mdb, etc. every day instead of only
occasionally.  mdb's are set in "veto oplock files". Permissions are
2770 for administrator/Domain Admins, and acl's are used to r/w to these
files.  Inherit owner, permissions, and acls are all set to Yes.  strict
locking is the default auto.
As someone earlier suggested, I tried "force security mode" as the fix
for MS Office files.  It didn't seem to have an effect on the mdb
problem, and it stripped the acl's from excel spreadsheets.  It seemed
to override the inherit "acls parameter".
Is the mdb problem something I'll have to live with, or can it be remedied?

Dale