[Samba] XP share not listed in Linneighborhood

Guenter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Apr 30 16:48:46 GMT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 30. April 2008 schrieb Larry Alkoff:
> Guenter Kukkukk wrote:

> >> Just looked again Günter.
> >> Yes, "NetBIOS over tcp/ip" is checked.
> >>
> >> Also iptables on the Linux machine is wide open (all policies ACCEPT).
> >> The entire internal LAN is behind a router/firewall of course.
> >>
> >> Larry
> >>

> > Then i don't understand the result from one of your recent posts:
> >     nbstat -n from winpro command prompt
> >     gives an error message
> >     "Failed to access NBT driver"
> >
> > Btw - it should read "nbtstat -n" (sorry, my fault)
> >
> > Cheers, Günter
> >

> Sorry Günter but I made a mistake with nbtstat -n.
> On winpro there was an old copy of nbtstat in a directory from Windows
> 98 but on my path.
>
> I renamed _that_ nbtstat and then
> which nbtstat
> found the real nbtstat in \windows\system32.

> The result of nbtstat -n
> Local Area Connection 3:
> Node IpAddress: [10.22.44.11] Scope Id: []
>
>                  NetBIOS Local Name Table
>
>         Name               Type         Status
>      ---------------------------------------------
>      WINPRO         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
>      LANET          <00>  GROUP       Registered
>      LANET          <1E>  GROUP       Registered
>
> Local Area Connection 4:
> Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []
>
>      No names in cache
>
> What does this result show for my problem?
>
> Larry

Have a look here how netbios names are registered and
what kind of resource type is used - the <00> or <1E>
in your output.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/691e1e3f-0ac1-45a2-b19a-cf7ef25ade4b1033.mspx?mfr=true

Your windows box has not registered the name WINPRO<20>,
so it seems to me, that the peer/server service is not
running ...
Btw, 'nmblookup -S winpro' (done on your samba box) should also
list the registered names.

Inside a windows cmdline console, does 'net share' list your
exports? 'net statistics server' should also list some info.

Cheers, Günter