[Samba] XP share not listed in Linneighborhood

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 15:28:51 GMT 2008

Guenter Kukkukk wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 30. April 2008 schrieb Larry Alkoff:
>> Guenter Kukkukk wrote:

>>> Have you enabled "NetBIOS over tcp/ip" in the tcp/ip settings
>>> of your network interface? I think, it's placed in the
>>> WINS tab dialog page.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Günter
>>>

>> Just looked again Günter.
>> Yes, "NetBIOS over tcp/ip" is checked.
>>
>> Also iptables on the Linux machine is wide open (all policies ACCEPT).
>> The entire internal LAN is behind a router/firewall of course.
>>
>> Larry
>>

> Then i don't understand the result from one of your recent posts:
>     nbstat -n from winpro command prompt
>     gives an error message
>     "Failed to access NBT driver"
>
> Btw - it should read "nbtstat -n" (sorry, my fault)
>
> Cheers, Günter

Sorry Günter but I made a mistake with nbtstat -n.
On winpro there was an old copy of nbtstat in a directory from Windows
98 but on my path.

I renamed _that_ nbtstat and then
which nbtstat
found the real nbtstat in \windows\system32.

The result of nbtstat -n
Local Area Connection 3:
Node IpAddress: [10.22.44.11] Scope Id: []

                 NetBIOS Local Name Table

        Name               Type         Status
     WINPRO         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
     LANET          <00>  GROUP       Registered
     LANET          <1E>  GROUP       Registered

Local Area Connection 4:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

     No names in cache

What does this result show for my problem?

Larry