[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Rick Johnson rrj0304 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 15:19:57 GMT 2008

I have a network accessible (192.168.2.97) Maxtor Shared Storage drive
that I want to use to backup the Linux (Slackware) systems on my private
LAN. I can "smbmount" the drive okay on my Linux systems, but when I try
and use rsync to do a backup rsync fails with a message about failing to
change owner.

Digging a little deeper into the problem I find that the
directories/files on the share all look something like the following

drwxr-xr-x  1 35000 root       0 2008-02-12 15:21 ArchiveOnLinux
drwxrwxrwx  1 35003 root       0 2008-04-22 01:01 Public
-rwxrw-rw-  1 35000 root 1127239 2008-02-28 11:28 gw_rn_vp_grey.pdf

which ISN'T the user (or group) I would have expected it to be mounted
as. (I've done a chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt to allow users to mount the
share and I expected that the share would have the same owner as the
user that mounted it.)

I've also found that I can't change ALL permissions ALL the time on the
share's directories and files. I can remove group and world privileges
from a file (which are remembered after a umount and remount) but I
cannot restore them (even as root). Only the owner privileges are
consistently changeable.

Basically, ALL I want to do is to be able to use the drive as a backup
that will maintain the same permissions, user, group, etc., as the
original files AND I want the files visible from both my Linux AND
Windows systems (because I need to use Nero on a Windows machine to do
the backups). Can someone help me figure out how to do this correctly?

Thanks,

Rick Johnson