[Samba] samba+cups+ad

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Wed Apr 23 20:12:49 GMT 2008

Hello List,

I am using samba and cups as a print server and have added it into my
2003 AD. What I am would like is to not install any drivers locally on
the client but have samba automagically send the correct PPD to the
client. I can add my samba server by using the 'net ads join -U
Administrator' command and it works as do the commands 'wbinfo' and
'getent passwd'. I can see the samba server in the 'Active Directory
Users and Computers' and the printer and when I right click and say
connect it does. When I pull up the properties page for the printer
and hit the 'Print Test Page' I get a dialog box saying "Test page
failed to print. Access Denied". I am logged into the DC with the same
user as I have on the samba box but I still get the access denied, I
even created a smbuser with same name but different password and still
denied.

I used the cupsaddsmb for my printer to place the files in the correct
directory. This would constantly fail when I left the "security = ADS"
line in my smb.conf file. So I had to change it to user and it ran
fine, I then changed the "security = user" back to "security = ADS".

Thanks for any help,

Jon

Here is my smb.conf:

# Global parameters