[Samba] Re: winbind v3.0.26a w. nss info = sfu; wbinfo fine, getent not

Jonathan Detert Jonathan.Detert at msoe.edu
Wed Apr 23 19:30:08 GMT 2008

wbinfo can turn names into sids, sids into names, and sids into uids.
However, getent passwd only finds users in the local /etc/passwd file.
Same for getent group.  /etc/nsswitch.conf says this:

passwd:         files winbind
group:          files winbind
shadow:         compat

I strace'd the getent command.  It said it couldn't find /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2,
so I made that a symlink to /usr/local/samba/lib/nss_info/sfu.so.  After that,
the strace output showed it finding and reading the file.  However, the command
ended abruptly shortly after that, and I can't tell why.  The samba logs don't
seem to show anything at all on behalf of the getent command.

Any ideas?  Thanks

winbind was compiled like so:

	./configure --with-ads --with-krb5 --with-pam --with-winbind --enable-rfc2307bis --enable-schema-mapping --with-shared-modules=idmap_ad,idmap_rid,rfc2307

smb.conf like so:

	security = ADS
	workgroup = MYDOMAIN
	realm = mydomain.tld

	idmap domains = MYDOMAIN
	idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = ad
	idmap config MYDOMAIN:default = yes
	idmap config MYDOMAIN:schema_mode = sfu
	idmap config MYDOMAIN:range    = 500-45000
	idmap alloc backend = tdb
	idmap alloc config:range   = 45001-60000

	winbind cache time = 0
	winbind enum groups = yes
	winbind enum users = yes
	winbind nested groups = yes
	winbind nss info = sfu
	winbind separator = +
	winbind use default domain = yes
--
Jon Detert
IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering