[Samba] Samba Replication

Steve Francia steve.francia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 21:41:46 GMT 2008

We don't need 100mbit access, but the current implementation is too
slow. Despite having fairly large pipes. Windows Clients have a ton of
latency especially when working with remote files in Office. Due to
the way windows/office are written the entire system freezes when a
write or read operation is taking place.

Because of our workflow it is unlikely that collisions will happen (a
person in office A editing the same file at the same time as a person
in office B), so Unison may work. I wonder what the overhead would be
cronning it that often. Unison seems to be a good fit here though.

The remote offices both have high download speeds, but cap out at T1
upload speeds. So saving files is the big issue here. Files can be
easily up to 15Mb routinely, though most will be around 1Mb. It is
hard to find a microsoft office file under 100k now a days.

DFS in samba seems like a good approach, but doesn't it depend on a
clustered file system for replication? Am I missing something here?