[Samba] problem with [homes] share for users with unix logins

Wes Modes wmodes at ucsc.edu
Mon Apr 21 20:18:23 GMT 2008

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wanted unix users (exclusively sysadmins and developers) to still get
their normal unix login directories.  On the other hand, since this is a
file server, any connection via samba, should connect people to their
samba file directories.

It looks like your suggestion is "ldapsam:trusted = yes" in smb.conf.
Here's a good explanation from the Samba docs:

    By default, Samba as a Domain Controller with an LDAP backend needs
    to use the Unix-style NSS subsystem to access user and group
    information. Due to the way Unix stores user information in
    /etc/passwd and /etc/group this inevitably leads to inefficiencies.
    One important question a user needs to know is the list of groups he
    is member of. The plain UNIX model involves a complete enumeration
    of the file /etc/group and its NSS counterparts in LDAP. UNIX has
    optimized functions to enumerate group membership. Sadly, other
    functions that are used to deal with user and group attributes lack
    such optimization.

     To make Samba scale well in large environments, the ldapsam:trusted
    = yes option assumes that the complete user and group database that
    is relevant to Samba is stored in LDAP with the standard
    posixAccount/posixGroup attributes. It further assumes that the
    Samba auxiliary object classes are stored together with the POSIX
    data in the same LDAP object. If these assumptions are met,
    ldapsam:trusted = yes can be activated and Samba can bypass the NSS
    system to query user group memberships. Optimized LDAP queries can
    greatly speed up domain logon and administration tasks. Depending on
    the size of the LDAP database a factor of 100 or more for common
    queries is easily achieved.

Wes

--

Wes Modes
Server Administrator & Programmer Analyst