[Samba] LVM + xfs + Shadow copy

David Disseldorp ddiss at sgi.com
Sat Apr 19 05:25:13 GMT 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:40:33 +0200 (CEST)
Adam Roland <roland.adam at freemail.hu> wrote:

> the whole thing gonna be fine :)
> i see previous versions, so sun lights upon my face ...

Great to hear.

> the xfs_freeze -f /home/ command does make the process hangup at lvcreating, so i doesn't use,
> by the way, i really don't understand whats the purpose of xfs_freeze,
> does it matter when i use snapshotting at 500GB size of partition, but don't care about xfs_freeze?

Running xfs_freeze -f before the snapshot is taken is very important, as
it ensures the filesystem will not be modified while the snapshot is
taken. Snapshots may be corrupted if the filesystem is not frozen.

xfs_freeze -f may take some time, as it waits for all outstanding
transactions to complete before returning, however if it is hanging
indefinately you should report the bug to xfs at oss.sgi.com with your
kernel and xfs-progs versions.

Cheers, Dave