[Samba] Samba and Vista profile probs

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Fri Apr 18 15:11:35 GMT 2008

CB> Hi all, I've got some problems with vista sp1 + samba 3.0.28a

CB> vista will not save the profiles nor load them. !
CB> I'm all familiar with the .V2 thing.
CB> vista however does create the "profilename.V2" directory, but does not
CB> populate it with the data

CB> Xp machines work like a charm however.
CB> profiles path's are: \\<server>\profiles\testuser
CB> so the problem with the .V2 part is not share related, coz they are a
CB> dir in a share.
CB> we do get logged in with a temp profile. so authentication works (little
CB> slow do...)

CB> do i need to alter the vista policy's or something ??
CB> if i browse manually to the profile share, i will be able to create dirs
CB> and files

define those keys on clients:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000
"CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001

If you remove %USERPROFILE% (C:\users\john) for an user
this user will be subsequently logged in with a temporary profile unless
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SID of user
is also removed.

Unfortunatly Vista doesn't obey Netlogon\NTConfig.pol.
you have to apply policies with other methods.

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping