[Samba] Re: Samba / LDAP / Idmap

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Apr 15 05:00:09 GMT 2008

Anand Kumria wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:32:31 -0500, Adam Williams wrote:
>
> <snip>
> Here is what I have (on one Linux server):
>  - OpenLDAP
>  - Samba 3.0, user data stored in LDAP
>  - local Unix users / groups resolved via LDAP
>
> I have added another Linux machine and local Unix users / groups are
> resolved via LDAP. I now want to have Samba on this additional machine
> also reference the existing directory information.
>
> Should I be running winbindd in this situation?

Not really, winbind is used for things like a samba server
authenticating against a Windows server and NTLM authentication.

You can just make the second box look at the ldap server on the first,
or if you like, run an ldap slave on the second machine for redundancy
and have samba look at that.

> Thanks,
> Anand

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *