[Samba] Re: Samba / LDAP / Idmap

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.org
Tue Apr 15 04:30:45 GMT 2008

Hi Adam,

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:32:31 -0500, Adam Williams wrote:

> idmap will only be populated if you are using winbind.

Ah, that is definately not clear from what I read.

The configuration example and text <http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/
Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#idmapbackendexample> seem to indicate
that I can just use the idmap parameters and it will be populated.

Perhaps, though, I am asking the wrong question.

Here is what I have (on one Linux server):
 - OpenLDAP
 - Samba 3.0, user data stored in LDAP
 - local Unix users / groups resolved via LDAP

I have added another Linux machine and local Unix users / groups are
resolved via LDAP. I now want to have Samba on this additional machine
also reference the existing directory information.

Should I be running winbindd in this situation?

Thanks,
Anand