[Samba] Browsing Samba shares slow when server has no DNS access

Andreas Baitis abaitis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 03:13:40 GMT 2008

John Drescher wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Andreas Baitis <abaitis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I've got a problem where the browsing of shares is very slow (30 sec to
>> open a share) if the Samba server has no access to dns servers. The result
>> is every time the internet goes down, no one can do any work on their local
>> network files. How can I stop this from happening?
>>

> One way is to install your own dns server. dnrd is very easy to
> install and setup. I actually install this on most linux client
> machines because it takes the load off my main dns servers. The other
> way is to figure out why needing a dns name to be resolved is
> happening on your local network and preventing communication between
> samba and your clients.

Yes the second suggestion was my question I guess, why does the Samba
server need to be able to resolve DNS queries for it to work properly. I
can re-create the problem by deleting entries from resolv.conf or by
disconnnecting the ADSL connection, so it seems the Samba server depends
on DNS resolution to work properly. Why is this? How do I stop it?