[Samba] Browsing Samba shares slow when server has no DNS access

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:21:39 GMT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Andreas Baitis <abaitis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I've got a problem where the browsing of shares is very slow (30 sec to
> open a share) if the Samba server has no access to dns servers. The result
> is every time the internet goes down, no one can do any work on their local
> network files. How can I stop this from happening?

One way is to install your own dns server. dnrd is very easy to
install and setup. I actually install this on most linux client
machines because it takes the load off my main dns servers. The other
way is to figure out why needing a dns name to be resolved is
happening on your local network and preventing communication between
samba and your clients.

John