[Samba] File locks?

Guenter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu Apr 10 23:15:04 GMT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2008 schrieb Jim Young:

Hi Jim,

> Thanks for the info. I am using the smbfs debian package, but mount tells me
> that type is cifs
>
> //nsh/jyoung on /mnt/uni type cifs (rw,mand)
>
> I have updated my fstab:
> //nsh/jyoung    /mnt/uni        cifs
> credentials=/myfolder/credentials,gid=jyoung,uid=jyoung,auto,rw
> 0       0
>
> and remounted, same problem.
>
> Thanks, Jim

On your local system. what's the outcome of 'modinfo cifs' ?

Btw - recent debian/ubuntu packages ship versions of the smb/cifs userland
helpers smbmount and smbumount, which are no longer mounting smbfs when
specified. Instead they mount cifs vfs "behind the scenes".
Both are (usually) also called indirectly by the mount/umount programs.
Technically spoken, 'mount -t smbfs ...' is (ususally) calling
/sbin/mount.smbfs which formerly mounted smbfs - but now cifs vfs instead.
Cheers, Günter