[Samba] "restrict anonymous = 2" breaks Dfs root functionality

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Apr 8 22:05:07 GMT 2008

I've been trying to get samba working as a msdfs root server, but was
having a problem where the client did not recognize the server as a Dfs
root.

After twiddling with the configuration for a while, I narrowed it down to
the "restrict anonymous" configuration setting. When that option was set to
2, the client did not recognize the server as a msdfs root. When either
left at the default, or configured to 1, the client did recognize the
server as a Dfs root and worked fine.

While researching potential causes of my problem, I didn't find any
material regarding the restrict anonymous settings possibly causing Dfs
problems. The documentation indicated that setting restrict anonymous = 2
might break some third-party applications, but perhaps it would be good to
explicitly indicate in the smb.conf man page that it also breaks Dfs?

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768