[Samba] Re: Redhat 3 upgrade

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:16:27 GMT 2008

Alan Bunch wrote:
> I am currently running Red Hat v 3 samba rpm's.
>
> samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.14.3
> samba-3.0.9-1.3E.14.3
> samba-client-3.0.9-1.3E.14.3
>
> I would like to run the current release version to see if I can clean up
> some of the problems I am having.  File locking and not releasing are
> the most troubling.
> I am looking for advice for executing this upgrade without breaking too
> much, such as, configuration files being in different place from the "as
> distributed" vs the "Red Hat distributed" versions.  This is a PDC with
> an LDAP back end and mostly just works.
>
> Any advise would be helpful
>
> Alan

Do you have either an extra box or the resources to clone your current
machine to a VM?  I've found this ability worth its weight in gold since
you never know what's going to break until you put all the parts
together.  RHEL 3 to current Samba is quite a step... even if you went
RHEL 3 to RHEL 5, you're jumping forward about 3 years.