[Samba] Domain Member Server /home/user creation - help needed

mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
Mon Apr 7 15:00:09 GMT 2008

For almost 10 years our school has been using samba as a PDC to provide a
network drive for each of our students,.  Now I need to install a domain
member server (DMS) to share the load.  I am running samba 3.0.28 on
Fedora 7 using the tdbsam backend on the PDC.  I have successfully brought
up a samba DMS using winbind and the idmap_rid backend.

I want to have all new students use the DMS for their roaming profiles and
for their network drive.  Upon first logon of a new user, a directory is
automatically created for the user in the profile share on the DMS.
However, I don’t know how to cause the home directory to be created on the
DMS for the network drive.  On XP Pro, the user home share shows up on the
DMS, but is not accessible because the directory does not exist.

If at this point, I copy the roaming profile directory for the user (which
is empty) to the home directory, then the home directory is now present
with the proper ownership and the home drive is now usable by the user.

e.g. on the DMS, with userid “mark”

cp –a /var/samba/profiles/mark /home

The [homes] share on the DMS is

 [homes]
    Path = /home/%U
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    available = yes
    public = no

So my question is how can I get the home directory for a user created with
the proper ownership the first time the user signs in?  Is there any kind
of script that can be invoked on the DMS?  Is there any way winbind can
create the home directory when it creates the UID/GID for the user?

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System