[Samba] how to know if kernel supports oplocks

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Apr 8 02:50:59 GMT 2008

Eric PEYREMORTE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read that i should put "kernel support = no" in smb.conf if my
> kernel doesn't support oplocks.
I don't know where you read that, but:

1. There is no "kernel support" option

2. Assuming you mean "kernel oplocks", the man page specifically says "
You should never need to touch this parameter."

> But i can't find how to know if my kernel support it.
According to the man page, IRIX and linux 2.4 (and presumably greater)
support it.
> I'm running a fedora core 4.
>
> If i compile the kernel manually, which option should i enable ?(i
> can't find a oplocks option)
It sounds like it relies on a generic change notification system rather
than something that is specificly designed for oplocks, probably Inotify
or maybe just dnotify.

 From the kernel's menuconfig help on inotify: "If unsure, say Y". If
you are compiling your own kernel you should only remove things that you
*know* you wont need. Stick with the recommended or existing settings
everywhere else and you don't have anything to worry about.

> Eric

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>