[Samba] PDC migration: printing trouble.

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Sat Apr 5 17:29:41 GMT 2008

> For me this was a windows bug and not a samba bug. Apparently windows
> remembers every printer you ever had connected to your machine and for
> every operation that brings up a print dialog it tries to contact all
> of these printers even though the printer has been deleted from you
> list of available printers. To fix this open up regedit and look at
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then Printers. In that tab there 4 folders.
> Delete all keys that contain printers that no longer exist and the
> problem will go away. At least it did for the users on my network.
> This is a per user item so you have to do that for every user who has
> this problem...

We did not delete any printer, we just migrated the PDC funtionality to
another machine with a newer Samba version. Workgroup and the domain SID are
the same. The only change is that we switched from a local to a remote CUPS
server.

Still would like to see an answer to this question:
Do the .tdb files which have something to do with printers have references to
the workgroup name or do they use domain/local SID's (which are the same on
the old and new server)? In other words: are we safe when the workgroup
settings is changed after adding printers?

-Remy