[Samba] Vista, %H, booting up

Stewart, Eric eric at lib.usf.edu
Thu Apr 3 13:41:51 GMT 2008

I have a RHEL 5 server using Samba (but not Winbind, reporting the
version as 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4) serving profiles via:

[profile]

   comment = Profile directory - special share

   invalid users = nobody

   browseable = yes

   guest ok = no

   read only = no

   force directory mode = 0700

   csc policy = disable

   force create mode = 0600

   create mask = 0600

   directory mask = 0700

   locking = no

   profile acls = yes

   path = %H/profile

Vista workstations can map the share *after* they are fully logged in.
However, during the login process, normal logging reports:

[2008/04/03 06:51:26, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)

  c-vista (131.247.112.205) couldn't find service profile.v2

[2008/04/03 06:51:27, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)

  c-vista (131.247.112.205) couldn't find service profile.v2

And the station reports that the profile was not loaded.  The Windows
error log on the client reports something along the lines of "file not
found".

If you'd like to see additional logging, let me know.

XP workstations have no problem getting profiles, nor does the Vista
station have any problems (now, after forcing NTLMv2 and switching to
ADS security from Domain - I had had problems getting ADS to work
originally) mapping shares once it's up and running.

Just hoping someone has a quick "add this line to the share config"
suggestion.

Winbind is not used on this station for legacy reasons - and because
(though I haven't seen it recently) Winbind used to occasionally lose
its mappings and give everyone new IDs.

Thanks!

Eric Stewart
Network Administrator, Tampa Library