[Samba] Backup of Samba Server files

Steve Scanavarro steve.scanavarro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:46:29 GMT 2007

Hello everyone.
I have a Samba+LDAP server running here in my company.
Everything is working fine, but I'm now worried about the backup of my
configurations.
In the LDAP, I just slapcat my base to an ldif file and that's everything
ok!

But in Samba, if I need to upgrade to a new machine, how am I gonna be able
to create another Samba server, with the SAME configurations? By "same
configurations", I mean, same domain name, same netbios name and without
asking all my 400 users to exit the domain COMPANY (old machine) and joining
the COMPANY (yeah, same name) of the new machine again?

In the past, when the MS Active Directory was used here, we used to backup
the "System State" in Windows 2000. This was enough to rebuild a new domain
controler machine transparently for the users.

But, what about Samba? Should I just backup my /var/lib/samba/* files and
everything would be fine in the case of a new Samba in a new machine? What
about the SID? In a different machine it is going to be different isn't it?
Just a net setlocalsid OLDSIDNUMBER would be enough?

I couldn't find anything about that in the Samba manual.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Best,

Steve