[Samba] Samba 3.0.26a Available for Download

David Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:28:14 GMT 2007

Andy,

	To some extent I agree. However, there are 2 areas where I disagree.
First, many of the rpm distros impliment sysconfig file checks that look for
files to be in certain places. When I'm adminning an older system, I don't
particularly want to redesign the whole sysconfig system to prevent the
system from loading the wrong config file because it is looking for smb.conf
in /etc or /etc/samba instead of /usr/local/etc/samba. The second are where
I disagree is if it is your system, you are doing the adminning, who cares
whether the file is in /usr or /usr/local/usr. In that case, there is no
plausable harm that can come from using your /usr directory for source
installs. This is especially true with a distro where updates are no longer
supported by RPM.

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street