[Samba] Samba 3.0.26a Available for Download

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Sep 11 23:01:39 GMT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, David C. Rankin wrote:

> Ed Kasky wrote:
>> At 05:24 AM Tuesday, 9/11/2007, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote -=>
>>
>>> Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis at
>>>
>>>         http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/
>>
>> Not being as adept at building rpm's as I could be if I had the time to
>> learn it, is there any supporting documentation anywhere that describes
>> how to go about converting from an rpm install to installing from src?
>>
>> Or is it easier/preferred/better to stick with the rpm's and build them
>> from the src?
>>
>> I know there are opinions on both sides but I wouldn't mind hearing a
>> few as I try and decide if I should continue with the rpm on a FC6
>> machine or convert to a src install....
>
> Ed,
>
> 	Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!!!  Seriously, I prefer
> rpm's, but I have servers still running mandriva 2005le and no one has
> built rpms for that distro for well over a year. So instead of worrying
> about installing some new OS, I simply started building them from
> scratch/source. Simple process, you only need to figure out what the
> ./configure options need to be once and then updates are a breeze.
>
> THE BASICS
>
> (1) download the latest samba-rev#.tar.gz;
> (2) unzip it with "tar -xzf samba-rev#.tar.gz"
> (3) change into the new samba-rev# directory
> (4) actually read the README file
> (5) cd into the new samba-rev#/source directory
> (6) run "sh autogen.sh"
>
> FIGURING OUT THE CONFIGURE OPTIONS
>
> 	While looking at the output of ./configure --help may be daunting,
> unless you have very special needs, the only config options you need are
> very straight forward. They are basically limited to:
>
> 	Where are your samba binaries/libs are stored and where do the
> documentation, config, and password files go?

I prefer to keep all source installed packages out of the
Distro-maintained directories (/usr).  Historically, this was
traditionally done on unix systems by using --prefix=/usr/local.  I prefer
to put Samba into /private/samba, but that's really up to you.

If you are going to install from source, I recommended using /usr/local as
the prefix.

 	Andy