[Samba] DNS registration pushing up wrong IP?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Fri Sep 7 00:31:10 GMT 2007

Hi there

I've just had a samba-3.0.25a server (can't see any reference to this
been fixed in b or c) become non-available to users, and after some
serious head-scratching realized there was nothing wrong with the server
- the Active Directory DNS was pointing to the wrong IP!

This CentOS4.5 box actually runs two instances of Samba (and one
winbind) in ADS mode. One associated with eth0 and the other with
eth0:2. It has been working fine for months, but somehow after a power
outage something occurred that meant the hostname associated with eth0:2
suddenly had two "A" records - the IPs from eth0 *and* eth0:2. So we had
the situation where the server was working for some users some of the
time, and others not - depending on what IP they resolved to first.

So anyway, it sounds like there is some condition under which Samba is
(re-)registering the wrong IP address during a DNS update? It doesn't
appear to happen very often: I have 28 servers world-wide with this same
"eth0, eth0:2" trick and this is the first time I've seen it.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417