[Samba] Problems with slow printing

Shane T. Drinkwater shane_drinkwater at pa-ucl.com
Thu Sep 6 21:02:52 GMT 2007

Hello,
My name is Shane Drinkwater. I have had a problem since samba-3.0.25 with printing being very, very slow. It takes about 15- 30 seconds for the print dialog box to appear. After selecting OK the print happens in a reasonable time.  File serving performance seems to be similar to previous revs of samba. I did read the "Problems with slow printing (and name resolving?)" thread. I do not have any printers that have been discontinued, plus new workstations are seeing the same slowness in printing. Has anyone else seen this or have a hint as to what is happening??
I am running on Red Hat Enterprise 5 with samba-3.0.25b/Cups 1.2.4

My smb.conf
[global]
  netbios name = medusa
  netbios aliases = insuranceSrv wellnessSrv accountingSrv backupSrv lisSrv personnelSrv hercules
  security = domain
  large readwrite = yes
  encrypt passwords = yes
  workgroup = CSQ
  server string = central file server
  printing  = cups
  printcap name = cups
  load printers = yes
  domain master = no
  local master = no
  map to guest = bad user
  name resolve order = wins bcast host
  preferred master = no
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
  wins server = 172.27.1.17
#=======================Winbindd Stuff ==================================
#=======================Winbindd Stuff ==================================
        password server = *
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        winbind cache time = 60
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
  writable = yes
  printable = yes

[print$]
  comment = Printer Driver Download Area
  path = /home/samba/printerdrivers
  guest ok = yes
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = @CSQ+shane, at CSQ+Administrator, at CSQ+Programmers
[NT-apps]
   path = /home/samba/ntapps
   create mode = 777
   directory mode = 777
   writable = yes
   public = yes

[public]
  path = /home/samba/public
  writable = yes
  public = yes
  create mask = 0777
  directory mask = 0777

[cedi]
   path = /home/samba/cedi/cedi
   dos filetime resolution = yes
#   oplocks = false
#   level2 oplocks = false
   valid users = @CSQ+Programmers,@"CSQ+Domain Admins",@"CSQ+Domain Users"
   write list = @CSQ+Programmers,@"CSQ+Domain Admins",@"CSQ+Domain Users"
   create mode = 777
   directory mode = 777

[cediarc]
   path = /home/samba/cedi/cediarc
#   oplocks = false
#   level2 oplocks = false
   valid users = @CSQ+Programmers,@"CSQ+Domain Admins",@"CSQ+Domain Users"
   write list = @CSQ+Programmers,@"CSQ+Domain Admins",@"CSQ+Domain Users"
   create mode = 777
   directory mode = 777
                                                                                                Thank you for your time
                                                                                                                                Shane

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The information
is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed
incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any
attachments. Thank you.