[Samba] folder contents on Win2k SP4 clients become outdated

Brolin Empey brolin.empey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:55:46 GMT 2007

Hello,

We have two problems with Win2k SP4 clients accessing our Samba file
server:

1. Sometimes the contents of a folder on a Samba share become outdated until the
folder contents are manually refreshed by pressing F5 in Windows Explorer.  From
what I have read, this can be caused by missing or incorrect File Change
Notifications.

2. Sometimes Windows Explorer shows duplicates of a folder on a Samba share.
The duplicate folder disappears after the folder contents are manually refreshed.

These two problems happen when the Samba share is mapped to a network drive;  I
do not know whether they happen when accessing the Samba share via its UNC path
instead of a mapped network drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brolin

File server config:

* Debian GNU/Linux
* uname -a:
Linux Repository 2.6.17.4 #3 Wed Jul 19 11:57:48 PDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
* Samba: v3.0.23c-3 from Debian prebuilt package