[Samba] Re: folder contents on Win2k SP4 clients become outdated

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sat Oct 20 16:36:36 GMT 2007

Brolin Empey wrote:
  > 1. Sometimes the contents of a folder on a Samba share become outdated until the
> folder contents are manually refreshed by pressing F5 in Windows Explorer.  From
> what I have read, this can be caused by missing or incorrect File Change
> Notifications.

We use Win2K SP4 heavilly... I thought that sort of behavior (having to press F5) was standard practice. So, same for us.

> 2. Sometimes Windows Explorer shows duplicates of a folder on a Samba share.
> The duplicate folder disappears after the folder contents are manually refreshed.

We have never had Windows Explorer show duplicate data.

> These two problems happen when the Samba share is mapped to a network drive;  I
> do not know whether they happen when accessing the Samba share via its UNC path
> instead of a mapped network drive.

We NET USE Samba shares to obtain drive letters. We do no access via UNC.

> * Debian GNU/Linux
> * uname -a:
> Linux Repository 2.6.17.4 #3 Wed Jul 19 11:57:48 PDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
> * Samba: v3.0.23c-3 from Debian prebuilt package

Debian Sarge here.
2.6.12-1-k7 #1 Tue Sep 27 13:22:07 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
Currently running Samba 3.0.26a-1 from Samba.org
We recently upgraded from Samba 3.0.25b-1
I recall being on 3.0.21c for a good long time. Then finally upgraded to 3.0.23d.
Again, all from Samba.org.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems