[Samba] Uploading printer driver from Windows client gives "access denied" error

Tony Groves tongro at eircom.net
Sun Oct 14 19:33:44 GMT 2007

> > From: Roel van Meer <rolek at alt001.com>
> >
> > Tony Groves writes:
> >
> > > I'm using Samba 3.0 on a Debian Sarge server, and am trying to upload
> > > printer drivers from a Windows client. I connect to the server using the
> > > root credentials (yes I know ...), but every time I get an "access
> > > denied" message when the driver upload process starts. I can perform
> > > other root functions via this connection no problem. I have uploaded
> > > drivers this way in the past but can't figure out why it won't work this
> > > time.
> > >
> > > Here's the relevant parts of my smb.conf:
> > >
> > > [global]
> > > printing = cups
> > > printcap name = cups
> > > printer admin = root
> > > load printers = yes
> > > [printers]
> > > path = /var/spool/samba
> > > public = yes
> > > printable = yes
> > > guest ok = yes
> > > read only = no
> > > [print$]
> > > path = /var/lib/samba/printers
      browsable = yes
      write list = root

> > Do you have the COLOR, W32X86 and WIN40 directories created in
> > /var/lib/samba/printers? I think there are even others, for 64bit version of
> > windows and the like..
> >
> > Otherwise, have a look at the logs. Easiest way to do this is to do
> > everything until uploading the driver and then increasing the log file with
> > 'smbcontrol smbd debug 3'. Maybe you need to do this with different
> > (higher) log levels to get the right info.

Yes, the directories are all there. The driver is the Windows 2000
version, and as far as I know, uses the W32X86/2 directory. W32X86/3 is
already in use by two other printers.

Now, the log files. I upped the debug level to 3 and extracted the log
entries corresponding to the time from when I clicked OK to when the
error message appeared. Unfortunately I can't make head nor tail of it.
I've uploaded the file to http://tongro.org/tmp/log.smbd . There's a lot
of text there, but maybe somebody might spot something.

Thanks for the help.

Tony.