[Samba] Uploading printer driver from Windows client gives "access denied" error

Roel van Meer rolek at alt001.com
Thu Oct 11 06:30:39 GMT 2007

Tony Groves writes:

> I'm using Samba 3.0 on a Debian Sarge server, and am trying to upload
> printer drivers from a Windows client. I connect to the server using the
> root credentials (yes I know ...), but every time I get an "access
> denied" message when the driver upload process starts. I can perform
> other root functions via this connection no problem. I have uploaded
> drivers this way in the past but can't figure out why it won't work this
> time.
>
> Here's the relevant parts of my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> printing = cups
> printcap name = cups
> printer admin = root
> load printers = yes
> [printers]
> path = /var/spool/samba
> public = yes
> printable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> read only = no
> [print$]

> path = /var/lib/samba/printers

Do you have the COLOR, W32X86 and WIN40 directories created in
/var/lib/samba/printers? I think there are even others, for 64bit version of
windows and the like..

Otherwise, have a look at the logs. Easiest way to do this is to do
everything until uploading the driver and then increasing the log file with
'smbcontrol smbd debug 3'. Maybe you need to do this with different
(higher) log levels to get the right info.

Good luck!

-r