[Samba] Uploading printer driver from Windows client gives "access denied" error

Tony Groves tongro at eircom.net
Wed Oct 10 22:23:58 GMT 2007

I'm using Samba 3.0 on a Debian Sarge server, and am trying to upload
printer drivers from a Windows client. I connect to the server using the
root credentials (yes I know ...), but every time I get an "access
denied" message when the driver upload process starts. I can perform
other root functions via this connection no problem. I have uploaded
drivers this way in the past but can't figure out why it won't work this
time.

Here's the relevant parts of my smb.conf:

[global]
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printer admin = root
load printers = yes
[printers]
path = /var/spool/samba
public = yes
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no
[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browsable = yes
write list = root

Can anybody see anything I might be doing wrong here or suggest how I
might narrow down the problem?

Thanks very much.

Tony.