[Samba] Setting up common drive w/letter?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 12:45:39 GMT 2007

On 10/4/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
> I want to configure samba to produce a common area (i.e. /home/shared) as
> an assigned drive letter to all users.   Thus, in addition to users
> logging into the domain and having an H: drive for their personal account,
> they will also get an S: drive (for example) for a common area.
>
> How do I configure this in smb.conf?

Create a share by adding in this:

[SHARED]
comment = PMS files
path = /home/lucas/Unique
browseable = yes
#printable = no
guest account = nobody
guest ok = yes
write ok = yes
force user = lucas
#force group = lucas

If all of them authenticate via samba you don't need guest accout=
nobody and you don't need force user = lucas. You might need force
group do to make sure all people are can read write to it.

On 10/4/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
> I want to configure samba to produce a common area (i.e. /home/shared) as
> an assigned drive letter to all users.   Thus, in addition to users
> logging into the domain and having an H: drive for their personal account,
> they will also get an S: drive (for example) for a common area.
>
> How do I configure this in smb.conf?

Create a share by adding in this:

[SHARED]
comment = shared files
path = /home/shared
browseable = yes
#printable = no
#guest account = nobody
#guest ok = yes
write ok = yes
#force user = lucas
force group =users
write list = @users

Now in your startup script (netlogon) add :

net use s: \\YOURSERVENAME\SHARED

Then you can run a command
smbclient -L localhost
password: [hit Enter]  --password is empty

to see if it is shared.

Check out:
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController