[Samba] Setting up common drive w/letter?

Francis Galiegue fg at one2team.com
Thu Oct 4 11:52:16 GMT 2007

Le jeudi 04 octobre 2007, Scott Ehrlich a écrit :
> I want to configure samba to produce a common area (i.e. /home/shared) as
> an assigned drive letter to all users.   Thus, in addition to users
> logging into the domain and having an H: drive for their personal account,
> they will also get an S: drive (for example) for a common area.
>
> How do I configure this in smb.conf?

This is not in smb.conf per se. You will configure the share in smb.conf and
setup a logon script with at least the line:

net use S: \\yourserver\theshare /persistent:no

(that's what I use and it works pretty well, but YMMV)

The script must be in the [netlogon] share. Also, it must be DOS formatted
(use unix2dos if you create the file under Unix). Then, in smb.conf, add:

	logon script = \path\to\yourscript.bat

in the global section where \path\to\yourscript.bat is the relative path of
your script from the root of the netlogon share (just forget the \path\to\ if
it's at the root).

Francis Galiegue, One2team - fg at one2team.com
[ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]
+33178945570, +33683877875, http://www.one2team.com
40 avenue Raymond Poincaré - 75116 PARIS