[Samba] Dealing with DLL name overlap in Win32 printer drivers under SAMBA

Max Fretter max.fretter at tait.co.nz
Thu Nov 22 22:34:17 GMT 2007

Hi - samba-list newbie here.

Trying to setup SAMBA print sharing (over CUPS as the print layer) with
**native** Windows print drivers being made available to the connecting
workstations... We've already tried the Postscript/PPD approach, but
with the multifunction/mopier machines we've got here, native is
definitely best to get all the options/interlocks shown.

Problem is that the driver files are only ever put into the
\\server\print$\W32X86\n\ directory (which varies by server type etc, I
realise this)... so Win32 driver "kits" from the manufacturers can
overlap if the same DLL occurs with the same name, but possibly
different versions between drivers (with the driver versions being
driven by the printer firmware/models). Is there a way to get separation
by printer share name under this root directory so I can safely load up
different versions of driver from the same manufacturer? I'm already
considering changes to nt_printing to add subdirectories, but is this
already solved somewhere out there? If we did do this mod, would it be
worth putting back into the codestream anyway?

PS - already checked in the mail list archives, couldn't see anything
really related to this so far..

Thanks for any help.

Max Fretter
DBA/Sysadmin
Tait Electronics Ltd
Christchurch, New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.