[Samba] FreeBSD 4.11 -> 6.2 Oplocks issue..

B. Cook bcook at poughkeepsieschools.org
Wed Nov 14 21:11:23 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am updating a working 4.11 server to 6.2.  It runs two simple apps
quite nicely and has been doing so for years.

I have the 4.11 box up to 3.0.22 and I am putting 3.0.26a on the new 6.2
machine.

When I do that (and move the config over) the apps do not load and smbd
crashes, twice it even took the server down with it..

I have even gone so far as to run testparm -v and diff the two outputs
which does not seem to help.

What I do notice is on the working machine (4.11) that the Oplock column
from smbstatus shows EXCLUSIVE+BATCH for the files that these
applications call for.  The non working 6.2 shows NONE in the Oplock column.

Here is the working config:

[global]
         netbios name = MRASERVER
         server string = [Samba %v] (FreeBSD) %a
         interfaces = 192.168.0.16/255.255.255.0, 127.0.0.1
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         hosts allow = localhost, 192.168.0.
         hosts deny = ALL

         map to guest = Bad Password
         null passwords = Yes
	guest ok = Yes
	guest account = mraglobal
         lanman auth = No
         min protocol = NT1
         announce version = 6.0

         name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhosts
         wins support = Yes
         max ttl = 180
         max wins ttl = 180
         min wins ttl = 90

         time server = Yes
         dns proxy = No
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
         show add printer wizard = No

         logon path =
         logon home =
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 256
         lm announce = No
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes

         winbind use default domain = Yes
         security mask = 0750
         directory security mask = 0750

         case sensitive = No
         hide dot files = No

[win32]
         comment = Windows Apps that are Standalone
         path = /home/win32
         read only = No

I even used the same options file to build it with..

[/var/db/ports/samba3]$ 2 > cat options
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# No user-servicable parts inside!
# Options for samba-3.0.26a_1,1
_OPTIONS_READ=samba-3.0.26a_1,1
WITHOUT_LDAP=true
WITHOUT_ADS=true
WITHOUT_CUPS=true
WITH_WINBIND=true
WITHOUT_ACL_SUPPORT=true
WITHOUT_FAM_SUPPORT=true
WITHOUT_SYSLOG=true
WITHOUT_QUOTAS=true
WITHOUT_UTMP=true
WITHOUT_MSDFS=true
WITHOUT_PAM_SMBPASS=true
WITHOUT_CLUSTER=true
WITHOUT_DNSUPDATE=true
WITHOUT_EXP_MODULES=true
WITHOUT_POPT=true
WITHOUT_MAX_DEBUG=true
WITH_SMBTORTURE=true

I am thinking about back dating the ports and compiling the same 3.0.22
and then diff the results and see if there is something else going on
that I am just not catching..

So after all that I need to figure out how to set EXCLUSIVE+BATCH on the
files in that dir so these apps will continue to run.

Thanks in advance,
Brian