[Samba] Samba+LDAP problems

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Tue Nov 6 16:01:01 GMT 2007

Marcelo Mogrovejo escreveu:
> Hello Edmundo

(...)

> So, yes, i have configured this file already:
> passwd: compat ldap
> shadow: compat ldap
> group:   compat ldap
>
> I have downloaded the libnss-ldap file too but it's the same...

Yes, this package must be installed too, nsswitch.conf says where to
read and libnss-ldap says how to do it when using LDAP. Normally
answering debconf properly when installing the package is enough to make
it work and messing with /etc/libnss-ldap.conf isn't needed.

> I can't make it to work...
>
> If i try to create a posixAccount in phpLDAPadmin it show me the error:
> "Could not add the object to the LDAP server.
>
> LDAP said: Object class violation
> Error number: 0x41 (LDAP_OBJECT_CLASS_VIOLATION)
> undefined attribute to exist or that would remove a required
> attribute, given the current list of ObjectClasses. This can also
> occur if you do not specify a structural objectClass when creating an
> entry, or if you specify more than one structural objectClass."

Doesn't make much sense trying anything else if your NSS doesn't work,
make it work isn't optional.
If you have populated LDAP successfully with smbldap-populate at least
the administrator and nobody accounts (or whatever was inserted in the
base) must appear with getent. (you can make sure what was inserted
doing a slapcat).

> And the rare is, when i create the account with smbldap-useradd -m
> testuser it create the home directory at /home/testuser but i don't
> know why it doesn't create a uid....

Ok, -m makes the home directory, but what do you mean by "doesn't create
a uid"? Its only a perl script that inserts something in the base
directly, it doesn't fail when lacking NSS. A dump of the base with
slapcat doesn't show the user? The command give any error? If the user
isn't in the base your smbldap-tools install is broken too.

> thanks for your help
>
> best regards.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto