[Samba] policy files

Dmitri Colebatch dim at colebatch.com
Thu May 31 11:55:10 GMT 2007

Hi,

I think I have two questions - one which is samba and one which is windows
policy files.  I'll try to limit this question to the samba side but will
give the full picture for completeness.

I'm trying to implement a simple policy to redirect a few simple folders
(for starters).  I have a policy file called NTConfig.POL that is available
on my share \\wilson\netlogon (wilson is the name of the server running
samba).  I'll append its contents at the end of this email in case that's
where my problem lies (although that's a windows question, so I don't expect
an answer here).

I don't have anything that mentions the policy file in my samba config, but
according to http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html I don't need to
(other than having NTConfig.POL readable at \\wilson\netlogon\NTPolicy.POL,
which it is).  I've seen lots of stuff that suggests I need special windows
programs (that seem to only be available on NT or 2003) to edit these files,
and then other pages (such as the link above) that say they are just text
files.

Is there a simple howto that I've missed on this?  Thanks in advance for any
tips.

cheers
dim

CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Custom Folder Redirection"
        KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders"

        POLICY "Custom Internet Cookies Folder"
                PART "Path to User's Internet Cookies Folder"
EDITTEXT        REQUIRED        EXPANDABLETEXT
                        DEFAULT "Z:\Cookies"
                        VALUENAME "Cookies"
                END PART
        END POLICY

        POLICY "Custom Internet Favorites Folder"
                PART "Path to User's Internet Favorites Folder"
EDITTEXT        REQUIRED        EXPANDABLETEXT
                        DEFAULT "Z:\Favorites"
                        VALUENAME "Favorites"
                END PART
        END POLICY

        POLICY "Custom Internet History Folder"
                PART "Path to User's Internet History Folder"
EDITTEXT        REQUIRED        EXPANDABLETEXT
                        DEFAULT "Z:\History"
                        VALUENAME "History"
                END PART
        END POLICY

        POLICY "Custom My Documents Folder"
                PART "Path to User's My Documents Folder"
EDITTEXT        REQUIRED        EXPANDABLETEXT
                        DEFAULT "Z:\Documents"
                        VALUENAME "Personal"
                END PART
        END POLICY