[Samba] errors - cannot access LDAP when not root

Justin Zipperle justin at shaggydawg.com
Mon May 21 20:50:54 GMT 2007

I'm hardly an OpenLDAP expert, but check your ACLs in your slapd.conf.
Make sure you've got something like this:

access to *
    by * read

You should probably tighten up your LDAP security a bit more than that,
but you get my point.  You should be able to do an anonymous bind and
search LDAP from the command line:

ldapsearch -x -b "dc=yourbase,dc=net" "(ObjectClass=*)"

In my experience, that should be working before you can do anything
useful with Samba.

Hope this helps!
-Justin