[Samba] samba, wins, netbios

Jack Mendez jmendez at vips4kids.org
Fri May 18 18:48:13 GMT 2007

I am trying to setup the samba server to ping machines on the network via
the netbios name.
i have the following lines in smb.conf under global
wins support = yes
	domain logons = Yes
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
local master = yes
os level = 34

my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like.
hosts:          files wins dns
I added the address of the samba server into the wins configuration tab in
the advanced section of tcp properties in windows xp. When i try to ping
that machine from the samba server, i get unknown host.
i can ping the samba server by netbios name from the xp machine just fine
domain logons work, its just the ping from the samba server thats the
problem.  I would also like to b able to ping other machines on the
network from this xp box in question as well.

the samba server is running ubuntu feisty and samba 3.0.24