[Samba] Samba domain clients take too long to log in

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu May 10 07:39:31 GMT 2007

On 5/10/07, rolandpish <rolandpish at netscape.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have a Samba+LDAP Debian box as a primary domain controller.
> I configured the server in order to support roaming profiles.
>
> Everything is working perfectly. Roaming profiles are loaded and
> saved correctly from the server for every user on the domain.
> The big problem is this: after typing username and password from
> a Windows XP client computer, it starts reading the profile from the
> samba server; it says: loading settings, then it says: applying settings,
> then it becomes stalled, and after about 2 minutes the computer starts
> to load the desktop.
>
> I have these packages installed: dhcp3-server, bind9, openldap (and required
> packages as libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, etc) and samba server.
> Do I need something else (a package or configuration) in order to
> avoid this?
> Why do clients last too much before the Windows desktop is ready to use?

Have you checked the size of the roaming profiles? Since windows
downloads a new copy each time you log in these must be only a few MB
if you do not have a gigabit to every desktop. Also you should get any
internet explorer cache out of the roaming profiles as this usually
contains thousands of files which take forever to download...

John