[Samba] Re: mount windows xp share

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 7 17:13:19 GMT 2007

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:11:31 -0400 Kevin Gutch
<kgutch at protechemail.com> wrote:

> I would like to be able to setup shares i n the following manner.
>

> I want a basic root share folder. Let's say it is the /Home
> directory. This will be a shared drive for all users on our network.
> Everyone will have read access. Under this folder
> will be several shared folders that are user specific. I have done
> this but it seems that the /Home directory overwrites the read
> attribute for all other directories.
> I do not want some of the sub directories to be browsable by certain
> users.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to change this? Does any of this make
> sense!?!?!?
>
> Here is an example of my conf file.
>
> [home]
>    comment =   Share Home
>    path = /home
>    valid users  =  List of valid users
>    read only = No
>
> [marketing]
>    comment = Marketing Share
>    path = /home/marketing
>    admin users =  List of valid users
>    valid users =  List of valid users
>    read list =     read only = No

Do the individual directories absolutely have to be sub-directories of
the shared directory?

Why not create an entirely different directory for the shared stuff
(called, eg, /sharedstuff - but you can make up your own name). Then
what you do with and to this directory is kept completely separate
from the configuration of home directories,

--
 All the best,
 John