[Samba] smbmount

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 7 12:46:33 GMT 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:24:19 -0400 Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:

> On 2007/05/03 17:32 (GMT+0100) John G Walker apparently typed:
>
> > I installed samba on a PC running SuSE 10.2, using the version from
> > the SuSE 10.2 repository (3.0.23). All very nice, except smbmount is
> > missing.
>
> > As I understand it, this would seem to be because the version
> > offered had not been compiled with the  --with-smbmount option.
>
> > Is my interpretation correct? And if so, how can I fix things? Do I
> > have to download the source and do my own compilation (urrgh)? Or is
> > there a version on a repository somewhere compiled with the
> > --with-smbmount option?
>
> > I didn't have this problem with either SuSE 10.0 or 10.1,
>
> SUSE wants you to use cifs instead of smbfs,

So why is SuSE (or Novell) telling me what I should or shouldn't use?
In any case, this is a bout the world I live in, not about their or my
preferences.

As far as I understand it, Windows 98 doesn't use CIFS. Since the
object of using Samba is partly to access a Windows 98 machine, not
having SMBFS available sort of defeats the object of using Samba in the
first place. Maybe they want us to go back to using floppy disks as
substitutes for a network.

If there is a way to network files to and from a Windows 98 machine via
CIFS, by the way, please let me know, since this would solve my problem.

> but if you can't get
> cifs to work right, you can recompile the kernel to enable smbfs. I
> don't remember exactly the details of getting smbmount back, so I
> asked on freenode

Thanks very much. This is over and above the call of duty and well
appreciated.

>and got the following:
>
> 13:22 <a-865> kukks: what did we do to get smbmount back in SUSE 10.2?
> 	14:41 <kukks> a-865: You have to download the samba-client -
> possibly Suse even dropped stuff from that.
> 	you need:
> 	smbmount
> 	smbmt
> 	smbumount
> 	14:42 I always use the samba3 svn source and build all stuff
> myself 14:44 <kukks> Then 2 symlinks must be set in /sbin to allow
> the basic mount cmd to work:
> 	mount.smbfs -> /usr/bin/smbmount
> 	umount.smbfs -> /usr/bin/smbumount

In fact I have downloaded the Samba client - and have now upgraded Samba
to version 3.0.24, just in case it was a version problem. Samba client
informs me (in YaST) that it installs smbmount, but no such luck when
I try it out. smbmount is just not found.

When I look in /sbin there is no mount.smbfs, only mount.cifs. That
would seem to be the main problem. So how do I get this installed if not
by installing samba-client?

--
 All the best,
 John