[Samba] problems accessing printers by UNC path

Ray Klassen rklassen at mccscs.com
Fri May 4 18:40:47 GMT 2007

Recently switched main samba servers and turned up a problem

CUPS printers are all published and can be connected to by browsing the
server, but if, as I was used to doing, you connect by entering the UNC
of the printer directly in the run dialog in windows. you get

"\\server\printershare is not accessible. You might not have permission
to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
to find out if you have access permissions"

and the log on the samba box
says
"printershare is not a valid printer name"
"couldn't find service printershare"

I've set up lot's of samba boxes before and never seen this.

Non-printer UNC's work fine.

--
Ray Klassen
Computer SysAdmin