[Samba] Logon script change failure

Wendell Dingus wendell at BISonline.com
Wed Mar 28 12:08:25 GMT 2007

Thanks, I've got basically the same type of thing configured now but the PCs were initially joined to the domain and have been signing on and receiving login scripts in the form of %U.bat for years.
Now though I modify smb.conf to point them to logon.bat and for some reason they continue to look for %U.bat and fail to process the logon.bat file. I've patched around this via symlinking all
possible usernames as {username}.bat to logon.bat in the netlogon directory. Frustrating to have to do this. I've tried stopping samba and removing .tdb files with no luck as well.

The other thing I had asked about, upgrading RedHat9 machines from Samba2 to Samba3 we've approached again. We've been successful in doing so, but not without some pain.

The section titled "Linux clients printing to Windows XP machine" at the end of this article is relevant: http://www.wlug.org.nz/SambaPrinting

The symlink of smb -> smbspool had to be made. Afterwards we could not add a printer pointing to a WinXP share via the graphical system-config-printer GUI tool but could using the text version,
system-config-printer-tui. Strange...

Also, we discovered that even if Samba was set to pass on print data raw, configuring the printer in CUPS with a printer driver appeared to cause the data received from the PC to have print driver
rules applied to it twice. We setup the printer as RAW in CUPS and it's working now. Also strange...