[Samba] Need some explanation on Samba/NFS locks handle

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Mar 22 17:38:44 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 06:35:22PM +0100, Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com wrote:

> I understand your point of view.
> But, we do/can NOT want to modify our OS2 applications.
> So, we have to keep OS2 deny mode method and migrate OS2 SMB clients 1 by
> 1 to Linux NFS client with no loss of file integrity...
> Then, we are thinking about modifying Samba server code to "emulate" deny
> modes with byte range locks....

You are free to do so, but no such changes will be
accepted upstream.

> Any idea about another way to resolve this point ?

You must change your OS/2 apps, or change Samba.
We won't accept changes that break Samba for everyone
else in order to fix a specific app, so you're not
in a good place here. You'll have to make local
modifications and keep them up to date. We won't be
able to fix bugs for you though as you'll be breaking
a fundamental part of the server code for your app.

Jeremy.