[Samba] Logon script change failure

Wendell Dingus wendell at BISonline.com
Tue Mar 20 12:05:55 GMT 2007

I've got a bunch of servers which for a long time now have provided
domain logon scripts of the form %u.bat or %m.bat   I've recently
created a more capable logon script in Kixtart and have changed smb.conf
to launch it for all users as just logon.bat  So no more per-machine or
per-user scripts, everybody runs the same one, and inside it it does
per-machine and/or per-user things. At maybe 2/3rds of the sites this
works fine. For the others I'm getting errors in logs where the PC is
trying to find {machinename}.bat or {username}.bat and failing and
thusly *not* processing the logon script at all. As if the change in
smb.conf is being totally ignored. I've restarted samba, rebooted, etc..
In a few cases I've even tried renaming the entire /var/cache/samba/
directory and restarting samba so that it creates new copies of all the
.tdb's. I'm not certain that *all* instances of this are Samba2 but am
kind of suspecting they are. We've still got a bunch of customers with
RH9 and Samba 2.2.12  Hey it's doing what we ask and besides this latest
problem is working fine.

So, any suggestions how to get a bunch of WinXP PCs to start looking for
"logon.bat" instead of "%u.bat"? In testing I've simply symlinked
logon.bat to all the usernames in netlogon and that works, as a band-aid.

If Samba2 turns out to be the issue and an upgrade to Samba3 is to be
suggested, something else that's been a problem for me I could ask
about. I've tried the Samba3 RPMs provided at samba.org and they worked
great, except... The ability to define a printer in cups pointing to a
shared printer on a PC as  \\{PCNAME}\{SHARENAME} ceased to work and I
ended up having to revert back to Samba2. I'd love to resolve this one
as well and breathe a bit more life into the RH9 boxes we may not get
upgraded for a long time still. They're all stock RH9 with the Fedora
Legacy updates all applied.

# rpm -qa | grep -i 'samba\|cups' | sort
cups-1.1.17-13.3.0.14.legacy
cups-devel-1.1.17-13.3.0.14.legacy
cups-libs-1.1.17-13.3.0.14.legacy
gimp-print-cups-4.2.4-5